1.16.2011

Lesson learned buying the cheapest Apple iTouch.

I bought an iTouch a few months ago, and I got the cheapest one I could find, because I didn't have a need for it. I had just bought a new nano a few months earlier, but I wanted to explored the app store and also test out ebook reading on a device without committing to a Kindle or on Nook or whatever. I got the cheapest one I could: 8 gig, previous generation, refurbish, and I love it.

Absolutely love it, but this post is not about that.

It's about this:
My 8 gig iTouch is about half full. I have hours and hours of music on it, hundred of free classic novels via Project Gutenberg, and a dozen or so books I've bought for the Kindle or Stanza ereader apps, and about 18 different apps half of which I hardly ever use. I've never had a frustration with speed or usage. This thing more than meets my needs.

I've always made an effort, when upgrading, to get the best of everything: the fastest speed, the biggest drive, etc, on the theory that it will pay off in the long run with an extended life cycle. Well from now on I'm getting the cheapest and the slowest.

Whatever I buy today will be faster and bigger than what I am using right now, and I'm most likely going to upgrade everything in a few more years again anyway, and the slowest and smallest available then will be better than the fastest and biggest available now. I'm web surfing, I'm doing very minor photo editing, I'm creating prose documents with either my ten-year-old (and therefore eminently usable) version of Word, or occasionally a version of OpenOffice for Mac called NeoOffice. I'm not editing "Lawrence of Arabia" or producing studio-quality rock albums.

So, never again.

Except for screens. I put money towards the biggest screen I can afford, because that makes a huge difference to me.

Slow and cheap, is my new credo.